Monday, February 27, 2012

Double Crooked Tree IPA

Described as a true "Double" IPA, there is nothing small about Dark Horse's Double Crooked Tree (DCT)IPA.

Appearance - This beer just looks gorgeous in a snifter glass. The deep orange hue just screams drink me.

Smell - Full of citrusy, resinous hops, DCT has "punch you in the nose" kind of aroma with it. I also pick up noticeable amounts of alcohol in the nose of the this beer and at 12 percent ABV, I should.

Taste - At first DCT seems like it might be a tongue wrecker of an IPA but it quickly lets its' guard down to become on of the more drinkable double IPA's I've ever had. I could easily drink 2 of these along with good conversation and not be too worse for wear. The alcohol is noticeable, but not overly so. The hops are up front as would be expected but are followed by hearty maltiness playing backup.

Overall - This beer fits somewhere in between a 90 Minute IPA and a Pliny the Elder as far as drinkability goes. I like that after having one of these I am not afraid to go back for another. I would be careful though because at 12 percent, this is one of the bigger beers in this category and could quickly sneak up on you. I would not only buy this beer again but I routinely seek it out every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment